We are surrounded by the South West Coastal Path, one of the easiest parts to walk. So whether you enjoy walking or exploring this fantastic quiet countryside, or want to spend lazy days on the river, on a hired boat, bird watching, fishing or visiting a variety of local beaches, Worswell could be the place for you and your family.
– within walking distance 10 mins mildly steep, narrow path to the beach. At low tide two coves are visible one with sand and one with pebbles, many boats moor here for the night. When the tide is in, only rocks but the most fantastic swimming pool, great for kids. Situated at the mouth of the river Yealm.
– is about a 20 min walk can be quite steep walk down and back up, but oh so well worth it, with a sandy cove, rock pools for exploring, you can loss a day so easily here, and great for swimming, prawning, crabbing and Dad you can get some fishing in.
– at bottom of a permanent static caravan park, steel stair case to beach, sandy with lots of hiding places.
– is a 3 hour walk, or 10 mins in the car with 100 acres of sand at low tide, sheltered and unspoilt, situated at the mouth of the river Erme. The private beach opens to public on certain days only. Café in the car park and toilets, Public beach open all year round.
– is on the opposite side of the Erme Estuary and often much quieter.
– is about 12 miles away in the car even though you can see it from the coastal path, you can walk to it using the foot ferry, and it takes about 1-2 hours path of the S.W.C.P. once at Wembury you have the Marine centre which often organises rock pool events for the kids in the summer, a lovely café with homemade cakes, and toilets, and a car park.
Other beaches such as, Bantham, Bigbury-on-sea, and Blackpool sands are all very much worth the visit between 20-30 mins’ drive.
Make Worswell your base for 2 nights, and without those heavy bags, be dropped to Plymouth one day and walk back to Worswell 3-5 hours, the next day be dropped to Mothecombe and walk back 3-5 hours depending if you walk the peninsula, if you don’t, do that another day taking in a pub lunch a great circular walk about 2.5 hours without the Pub!
Recommended Taxi service – Wembury Cars – 01752 881651, or 07882267436
12 miles of footpaths – plenty of variety walking through woodland or on the coast.
Has 2 Pubs:
The Ship Inn – This Pub gets very busy at Weekends and Holidays please book in advance so not to be disappointed. 01752 872387
The Swan Inn – currently closed
Excellent children’s playground, in Noss Mayo
The Dolphin Inn
Co-op, Post Office/general store, Chemist, Estate Agents, Community Café in the Post Office, Butcher.
Other Villages nearby, Yealmpton, Brixton, Modbury and Ermington, the historic city of Plymouth is about 12miles away, and a few miles more will bring you to the scenic glories of Dartmoor National Park.
Boat Hire available
Newton Downs Horse riding School nearby.